Sunday, April 24

No F1 and no Supercross makes Jonny a sad boy












It's a sad day in the Dundas house, for me anyway, as this weekend neither of the sports I religiously follow are running.  As such, I thought I would take the opportunity to write about how great last weekend was as both my F1 driver and Supercross rider of choice came through with the big W.

*as always, please make the jump but beware, it's gonna get a bit gay

Lewis Hamilton - Vodafone McLaren Mercedes F1 Driver
Also of note, is that I seem to have a man crush for talented young black men who crush the competition (which is predominantly white).  I didn't plan to strictly cheer for black men which I don't know if I can take comfort in or should be even more alarmed by.

A few years back when I started really getting into F1 I was taken by the speed and ability Lewis had, beating up on Ferrari and everyone else. The confident and well spoken Brit was easy too cheer for and hasn't disappointed yet.

James 'Bubba' Stewart - San Manual Yamaha Supercross Rider
Same goes for when I got into motorcross and Supercross in particular.  Stewart was kicking ass and taking names.  Although, he was a little harder for me to root for as he was the wrong colour, green and not blue.  As a Yamaha owner I had to suck up my pride a bit to be happy that a guy on a Kawasaki was putting all the blue bikes to shame.  This became a lot easier though when Chad Reed started riding for Yamaha as he is so cocky and arrogant (not much wonder the world champion couldn't get a factory ride this year).

My worlds a lined a year or two later when Reed was sent packing and James made the move to Yamaha and clinched the title.

Bubba Scrub to the extreme
Win, loose or crash, these two are the best at what they do and take their respective sports to another level.  I don't mind admitting I have two black man crushes, though I don't plan on hollering it from the rooftop.  These two deserve it though, with their similar go-for-broke styles.  In this exciting Supercross season, Stewart sits 9 points behind the championship leader with just 2 races left in the series. If he wins the championship, it will come down to the last race in Vegas.

New 'L' shaped sidepods to straighten
the airflow to the rear diffuser

In contrast, the F1 season has just started and Hamilton has won the third race and is second in points. A tribute not only to his driving, but also his car, team, and race strategy.  F1 is a different sport than any other I know of.  Teams spend small fortunes building a competitive car (and it's not much cheaper for the teams who build horribly uncompetitive cars), then have to continue developing at an extreme level to keep up and try to gain an edge.  I could keep the blog going just talking about the technical updates week by week but there's no need to as there are other more educated people who are in the know doing that already.  I'm looking forward to a hard fought season hopefully ending with Hamilton and McLaren taking the titles.

Enjoy the racing!

1 comment:

  1. Since both of us missed watching the race (although I followed it via twitter on my phone), I won't ask what you thought of it. But I'm gutted that Lewis crashed out. Interesting post-race comments to come! And didn't Lewis win the SEVENTH race of the year? (Not third)

    ReplyDelete